7.10.2011

What do you think?


Asher Lee. Some days, that's all I have to say for someone to know what I mean. This child can drive me crazy!!! He is so similar to me, which is good and bad. One on hand, I understand him because we ARE so much alike. But then again, he drives me crazy because he DOES have my personality. He can melt my heart w/a look, but he can also get me beyond irritated. He daily is teaching me something new about myself and teaching me patience like I've never know before.
I say all the time that he's lucky I love him and that he's so cute because he has been a challenging child from birth. When he was an infant, I literally wanted to leave him on the side of the road at times. He cried all the time and never wanted to be comforted. As he got older, he seemed very mischievous, aggressive, and all around just like a very naughty child. In fact, most people would write him off as a very naughty child.
But, I have taken a lot of time to learn what makes him tick. Honestly, I wish my parents had done the same w/me, versus writing me off as a naughty child. Watching Asher grow and change as I learn what works best w/him has just been not only very rewarding but also bonded us. Still there are days like today, when I'd again be willing to put him out on the side of the road. Nothing I say gets through to him. He has a mind of his own. He's not listening. He's all over the place. He's down right frustrating!!
As I went to make a facebook status stating that he's lucky I love him unconditionally, it hit me. I wonder how often God feels the same about me? True, He already knows what makes me tick because He made me. But, He's constantly working w/me, trying to help me work through the rough edges, to use what can come off as bad for the good. Does He ever want to put me on the side of the road, or say I'm a lost cause??
All I can say is that I'm thankful I have a Father who loves me unconditionally, because if He weren't God He probably would feel the way I do. He'd probably want to bang His head against the wall and maybe He still does at times, who knows :)
This morning's message was about changing the way you think, which is really what I think God would have me be doing at this stage in my life. There are SO many things that were ingrained in me as a child. "Accept whatever a family member does because they're family." Using the "you have to forgive no matter what" as a get out of jail free card to literally put myself and my children in harms way. "You're fat." "You'll never get it." "You're divorced which not only makes you a failure but also makes you a bad mom." While I may have to love even my enemies because it's commanded, does not mean I have to live in a dysfunctional, harmful environment. While I maybe divorce, does not mean that I'm a bad mom. While my body isn't perfect, does not mean I can't be happy w/who I am. While I may struggle w/things, does not mean I'll never succeed. Nothing was ever good enough. Nothing was ever right. Those thought patterns have haunted me for 29 years. And while I've done a lot to get myself and my children out of negative environments, does not meant that those thoughts have not controlled my life hence hindering me to be fully what God has intended for me.
I pray that God will continue to have patience w/me as I try to change what was known into what He would have me know. That I am loved, that I am forgiven, that I am precious, that I was made by Him w/love, that no matter what I do, He will never leave my side.
So what have you learned about yourself lately and what is God trying to get through to you??

No comments: