12.21.2007

Christmas

Sunday, my pastor preached part 1 of his sermon entitled "Recycled Christmas". Part of what he preached about was that the first Christmas was about Christ coming to set us free from our debt to sin, and now we've turned Christmas from becoming debt free, through Christ, to being in debt again, only financially. He said the average person will go $2500 into debt at Christmas time. Sadly, I'm not too extremely shocked by that number.
Unfortunately, I too had gotten wrapped up in the same thought process and actually felt like a bad mom bc all my kids were getting from me were 2 gifts. I put great thought into those gifts, and I'm sure they'll love them, but there was still a part of me that said, that's not enough. But, if I can teach Jaden that Christmas isn't about the presents but about celebrating Christ's birthday, then I guess I should follow my own teachings :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas!!!

Holly said...

thanks...Merry Christmas to you too!!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way...I think it's never enough, no matter how much thought or money I put into the presents. I don't want the kids to not have everything they want and more which is a bad train of thought.
Then I think about the kids that get nothing and my heart breaks for how they feel on Christmas morning....someone could give up something, there has to be some program for those children who are in need....maybe they can't get into it beacause there are too many others or people that don't deserve it taking advantage...it just breaks my heart.