What makes a friend? The dictonary describes a friend as the following:
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
I think a friend should have a deeper meaning.
In my opinion, a friend is someone whom you keep in contact with at least once a month at minimum. Someone whom you get together with at least more then once a year. Someone whom would call you if they knew you were having a rough time or even just drop a note in the mail. Do people no longer have friends like that? Do you have to be considered a close or best friend for people to take time for people they consider friends?
Can the mere fact that you know a person really classify them as a friend? Is that really all it takes to call someone friend? Am I living in a make-believe world, or did friendship used to mean more than that??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Sorry if this seems like I'm rambling. My best friend is in town, and it is the season to visit w/family and friends. Anyways, it just got me thinking of what I used to define friendship as and what it feels friendship has come to be.
I am glad she's in town though! I've gotten to visit w/her twice this week, and we're going to the movies tomorrow. Plus, she's got a new little baby, and I've enjoyed snuggling w/him even though he's spit up on me everytime I've held him...LOL
Holly, I think we all struggle as adults with friendships. We get so busy with our responsibilies and the stage of life we are in, that sometimes friendships get low on the priority list. Frienships are like any relationship, they need to be nurtured and cultivated. I know that I have been busy non-stop since we have moved to Iowa. I look forward to having some down time to deepen those surface relationships.
Post a Comment