7.01.2012

Dyslexia

So Jaden struggled a lot in 1st grade with pretty much every subject except math. The kid loves math. I had been pushing to get him privately tested for a learning disability since around Christmas, and once they told us they were thinking of holding him back in 1st grade, I was adamant about getting him tested. The school did their testing and said he didn't qualify for any special help and probably had ADD. At the beginning of June, I had Jaden tested by the neurologist that tested Asher back in the day because she is highly respected in her field, and I felt she wouldn't throw just any label on him. I was hesitant to say that he had ADD, but I wasn't sure if maybe I felt that way because he wasn't as extreme as Asher. But even after the first initial visit, the neurologist agreed w/me that it didn't appear to be ADD. Turns out Jaden has a good IQ, does not have ADD, but does have dyslexia. I had honestly been asking that since he was in kindergarten because he would write things backwards, but everyone said that was normal. It was also determined that he is behind in his fine motor skills and needs some occupational therapy. So.....I decided to take the kids out of charter schools since they didn't see any need to give Jaden the extra help he requires, and I'm putting both boys in the public schools. I have honestly given homeschooling a lot of thought, but not sure I have the patience it would require. That and I need to finish KVCC before I could consider homeschooling them. My mom is doing some homeschooling w/him over the summer, which he seems to be taking to. It is just good to finally know what is holding Jaden back academically, and I'm hopeful w/the right help, he will be back on track in no time! Being a single mom of two boys w/special needs can be challenging, and I often ask God if He doesn't think just maybe He gave me a little more than I can handle. But, I wouldn't trade my boys for the world! Hopefully both boys adjust well to the upcoming changes.

No comments: