11.21.2009

camping w/the boys

So, at some point in time, Shaun told J he'd take him camping. Now, I'm not sure if Asher was going to be included bc personally, neither Shaun nor I were sure he'd be the least bit interested, but none-the-less, J was planning on it. He was planning on sleeping in a tent w/a sleeping bag, fishing, and of course, making smores.

So obviously, summer has come and gone, and J never did get his camping trip. But this week, he's been talking about it an awful lot. And, I never realized that smores were in his idea of camping until this week, bc as he continually talked about it, smores were described on several occasions.

Any of you who know me, know I WON'T go camping. Yeah that has never been and never will be for me! My idea of camping is a cabin/motel in the middle of no where it MUST have heat/air conditioning and a bathroom. Fishing amazingly I have done and would do, but not by myself. See there has to be someone there to put the worm on the hook and take the fish off of the hook. But, smores I COULD do.

Now, I could have just made some smores over my gas stove, but I knew that wasn't what J was looking for. He had described the camp fire that the marshmallows are cooked over, but not too much bc then they get sticky and get all over him (lol, that's what he said). So, I went to walmart and PRAYED that they still had some grills around. I had to find a worker, but I got lucky. He had just the right size in the right price range, and I said "sold". So I bought all the supplies and home we went.

I really thought that putting together this tiny little grill would be no problem. In fact, I actually thought that it'd be put together since there wasn't much to it. Yeah, I was wrong on that one. I'd say it took probably a half an hour to put that little sucker together, but I got it together AND built my first fire ever.

The boys had a blast!!! They loved to see the fire burn and feel it's warmth. J thanked me several times for "taking him camping". Even asked that next time I make a bigger fire..lol. That's not going to happen bc as it was, I just kept envisioning something catching on fire and burning the house down.... All in all, it was a good memory...."camping w/the boys", PRICELESS!!

No comments: