For the past 3yrs, I've gone to my church on Christmas Eve. They always have a great program, and I'm never disappointed. Not to mention, I just love singing Christmas carols :)
This year for the children's story my pastor read "You Are Special". I didn't recognize the title, but I did recognize the story. It's about these wooden people who hand out gold stars to the "perfect" people, and gray dots to the "not perfect" people. One wooden person always got gray dots bc nothing he ever did was good enough. Then one day he met someone w/no dots and no stars. While others had tried to give her some, they wouldn't stick. He asked her why, and she said it was bc she spent time w/the Carpenter who had made them all. She encouraged him to go see the Carpenter to find out for himself. So, one day he goes to see the Carpenter who tells him that He made him, He cares for him, and the only person who's opinion matter is His. When the wooden man decided to believe that was true, his gray dots started to fall off.
Then he went on to the Christmas story, reading where the angels went to the shepherds first to announce Christ's birth vs going to the "important" people. How the shepherds were the lowest of the low. Most of them were criminals, and being a shepherd was the only job they could get. They were crude people, and not someone most others wanted to be around.
Made me think about how there were a couple churches that pulled out of a food program bc 2 of the churches involved supported the diversity act that was passed recently. When I heard that, it made me think about past sermons where our pastor had pointed out that when Jesus came to earth he went to the "unlovable" and reached them w/his love, not His condemnation. And how a lot of Christians turn off non-Christians bc they're more like the pharisees that God rebuked than the example Jesus Himself set. Here, at the time of Christ's birth, instead of reaching out to the people who probably need the church to reach out to them the most bc of how unworthy "Christians" have dubbed them, people are celebrating that churches took a "stand" to not be involved bc of them.
Am I saying that being transgender or gay is right? No. God clearly states right and wrong. But, God also states that a sin is a sin. W/out HIS grace, all of us would be going to hell no matter how "perfect" we felt we were compared to others. So why did Jesus CONTINUALLY go to the "unworthy" and "unlovable" people, and most Christians refuse to even be around them?? HOW are we going to reach those that need it the most, if we feel we're too good to be near them??
Wasn't expecting to get such an insightful Christmas eve program, but that's what I love about my church!!! Merry Christmas to EVERYONE!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment