9.27.2007

DivorceCare

I did one of the scariest things, I started attending a Bible study for divorcing/seperated people at my church! I almost didn't go bc of nerves and bc my mom was late dropping off the kids, but I did and am glad I did! It's a 13wk class, and I know the title sounds like it's pro divorce, but it's not really. The course helps you deal w/all the feelings that come along w/seperation and/or divorce. It teaches you how to heal, it helps w/reconciliation bc the Bible really does teach for marriages to last till death do us part, but it also helps if divorce is the final option. The group is made up of 4 guys and 5 women. There's one guy around my age, but everyone else is older. That was another thing that almost kept me from going bc I figured surely I'd be the only one this young already dealing w/a possible divorce. It also helps deal w/a lot of the misconceptions that the world has w/divorce. It amazes me how even the closes people to me don't understand the real impact of what is going on in my life. The class relates divorce to the death of a loved one, and in a lot of ways, it is. You just lost what at one point in time was your best friend, the person you thought you'd spend the rest of your life with, the person you chose to raise a family with, a person who was your world. The emotions and the depth of the loss is just too much for most people to grasp. People think you should get over it w/in months time. That you should just move on w/your life. But it's not that simple or easy to do. It's a LONG process that you need to go through. To fast forward through the process would only lead to more hurt down the road.
I'm glad I went bc maybe this will give me the tools I need to work things through, and hopefully it will give me the support I will need in the coming weeks/months/possibly years!

No comments: